This course is perfect for NGO staff involved in program planning, implementation and support. It covers all the skills needed to set up strong finance systems and procedures, create project budgets, keep basic accounts, and prepare and read financial reports.
All NGO staff have an important role to play in ensuring effective and proper use of financial resources during program implementation.
During this course, you will learn the key principles of good financial management and how to apply them in your workplace.
Designed in a highly participatory style, this course will build your skills and confidence in how to:
- Integrate good financial management systems into operations management
- Manage and control financial resources more efficiently and effectively
- During the course participants will gain the knowledge and skills needed for the FMD Pro 1 certification examination.
Who Should Attend
This course is primarily aimed at staff in small to medium-sized NGOs who are involved in program implementation and/or the management and control of financial resources.
It is designed specifically for:
- Non-financial managers and officers who want to improve practice in financial planning, control and reporting, and
- Finance officers interested in developing their financial management skills and knowledge to improve finance systems and support for program staff
Previous financial management experience or training is not a requirement for this course.
What You Will Learn
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe key tools and concepts which help an organization achieve good practice in financial management
- Build and use effective budgets, including project and donor budgets and cash flow forecasts
- Explain which accounting records we need to keep and why
- Describe the key processes and methods used to keep accounting records
- Use financial reports to monitor project performance and identify actions to keep project finances on track
- Explain how internal controls protect NGO assets and minimize the risk and impact of fraud and errors
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of your NGO’s financial management system
Our training puts the learner at the center, using practical and fun learning activities supported by easy-to-use materials. We share tools and techniques that can be immediately used in your work.